In delineating the boundaries for the proposed North Milford Village Historic District, the committee's purpose was to include the properties that would illuminate the commercial, residential, industrial and transportation development of this community through the three periods of significance defined in the narrative. These periods are represented by 255 included historic buildings and 13 sites, structures and objects. The choice of boundaries is further supported by the extant street grid pattern and by the 1872 and 1873 maps.
Representing the historic business district are three blocks of North Main Street from the Huron River to Detroit Street, containing commercial buildings from the first, second and third periods of significance, with fourteen buildings built since 1950.
The original residential area containing houses from all periods of significance is the area north and east of the business district, from Detroit Street to just north of Summit Street, and from Union Street to just east of First Street. The district extends east along East Commerce Street beyond First Street, along both sides of Canal Street for one block east of First Street and along Atlantic Street to the house built by the founder of Milford, Elizur Ruggles. One block of West Commerce Street west of North Main Street and one block of Oak Street running north from West Commerce Street are also included. These streets extending from the main residential area are included because they contain contributing historic residences shown on the 1872 and1873 maps of Milford and were an integral part of Milford's development during the three periods of significance.
West of North Main Street the boundaries include historic industrial
sites and structures: the Upper and Lower Mill Ponds, running from just south of
West Liberty Street on the south to just north of West Summit Street on the north;
seven mill sites; and an existing historic mill built by Henry Ford I and still in
use for manufacturing, as well as a vacant Henry Ford power-
The history of transportation in Milford is represented by the railroad itself as it runs through the heart of North Milford Village from the Huron River on the south to West Summit Street on the north. This includes the stone arch across the Huron River and the viaducts across the south end of North Main Street and across West Commerce Street just west of North Main Street.
Central Park, west of Main Street between the Huron River on the south and West Liberty Street on the north, has been excluded because it was not created during the periods of significance. The south side of East Canal Street has been excluded because the two houses built during a significant period do not yield important information about that period.
Areas beyond these above described boundaries have been excluded because their structures were either not present during the periods of significance, have been extensively altered, do not have a significant concentration of contributing buildings or are incapable of yielding important information about these periods.