SOUTH MILFORD VILLAGE
1. Site of Ruggles sawmill, 1832, first mill in Milford, beginning of settlement. Name of village may have come from a ford at this mill.
2. Site of log cabin where Ruggles Brothers first lived. Present house is a Greek Revival built by John Armstrong, who bought the Ruggles sawmill in 1836 and built the gristmill at #5 in 1839. This house was built across E. Huron St. and moved to this site in 1872 when the railroad came through.
3. Small Greek Revival house moved from across E. Huron St. when the railroad came through in 1872.
4. House built in 1869. Has a fine barn behind it.
5. Site of second gristmill, built in 1839 by John Armstrong.
6. Depot built in 1872.
7. House built in 1839, with its eastern upright added in 1887.
8. Site of first Presbyterian Church, built in 1846. The present house on the site was built in 1922.
9. Home of Dr. D.A.B.C. Fox, Milford's third doctor. It was built in 1839.
10. Much remodeled house built in 1839. The front room was used as a store by David M. Ladd, who was formerly a clerk in the Arms Store across the street.
11. House built in 1919.
12. Victorian Gothic house built in 1871 by Henderson Crawford, who had a private school and was a local historian.
13. Italianate house built in 1860 by William Palmer.
14. Tannery built in 1844 by Abram Seaman; became a house in the 1880's.
15. Site of Milford's first gristmill built in 1834 by Luman Fuller. Site is now under water of the mill pond created in 1911, when the old mill was demolished.
Site of this mill and the woolen mill are marked with a historic marker.
16. Site of Greek Revival woolen mill, built in late 1830's or early 1840's.
17. Cooper shop, part of Peters' Mill complex. Peters owned the mills from 1846. The cooper shop has been turned into a house.
18. Remodeled house,fomerly Greek Revival; home of Jacob Peters, who bought the mill complex in 1846.
19. Greek Revival house built in 1846 by Robert Pearson, Jr.; served as Presbyterian parsonage.
20. House built by Dugald MacIntyre in 1845.
21. House built by William Welles before 1843; moved and rotated.
22. Italianate house built in 1874 by Henry Lingham, produce buyer and elevator owner. It was the site of Mead & Arms, the first store in Milford, considered to be the oldest Men's Wear store in Michigan.
23. The first frame house in Milford, built in 1836 by Ansley S. Arms, partner in Mead & Arms, the first store in Milford. It faces the Public Square.
24. A brick Greek Revival house, built in 1858 by Dr. Henry Foote, Milford's first doctor. An earlier frame house, built in 1837, stood southwest of this house. facing the Ansley Arms house across the Public Square. The east wing, and probably the south wing, were added circa 1863. This house is an the National Register.
25. A late Greek Revival house built in 1867 by Archibald Wakeley, a wagon maker, and owned for many years by Dever, a blacksmith.
26. An Italianate house built in 1877 by Dr. C.G. Davis, a local physician; threatened with demolition in 1997.
27. A Victorian Gothic house built in 1871 by Abram McCain, a harnessmaker.
28. A Victorian Gothic house built in 1869 by James Ellenwood.
29. Built in 1846 by Luman Fuller; it was probably Greek Revival, but has been extensively remodeled.
30. A Victorian Gothic house built in 1868 by Clark Crawford, a local merchant.
31. A Greek Revival house built in 1842 by Philip Hubbell, wagonmaker.
32. A Greek Revival house built in 1839 by Ansley S. Arms for his father, Dr. Daniel Arms.
33. A house probably built in 1870, but may have been a school earlier; on the site of a log cabin built circa 1836 and used as a church, Sunday school and maybe a school.
34. A house built before 1843 by Jacob Voorheis; much remodeled, but was probably Greek Revival.
35. Victorian Gothic house built in 1872 by Ambrose Moshier, butcher.
36. Site of Wells Brothers foundry, built in 1865; marked by a historical mill marker.
37. The back part may be the Mead & Arms store, the first store in Milford. If so, it was moved three times.
38. Double store; one part of it was built in 1845 by William Seaman, shoemaker,
and the other part was built in the 1860's. The 1845 part is the oldest store building
still standing in Milford, except for the above-
39. Stone blacksmith's shop built in 1859 to replace a much older frame blacksmith's shop.
40. Two Italianate stores, both built by Richard Bridgeman, grocer. The south one was built in 1878 and the north one in 1880. Both retain their original lower fronts, as well as their upper stories.
41. Greek Revival house built in 1842 by Andrew Hosner on the NW corner of S. Main and W. Huron; moved to this site in 1874 when a hotel was built on its original site.
42. Victorian house built by Ambrose Smith in 1872.
43. Victorian house built in 1871 by Jacob Peters, miller.
44. Early house, much remodeled.
45. Greek Revival house built in 1847 by Lorenzo Armstrong, miller.
46. Greek Revival house built circa 1858 by William Deitz, house carpenter.
47. House built by Horace B. Hubbard in 1848.
48. Early house; may have been built as early as 1850's by Mrs. Ann Wallace.
49. Victorian house built by R. & Eunice Fuller, circa 1871.
50. Victorian house built in 1871 by Archibald Wakeley, wagonmaker.
51. Victorian cross-
52. Ward school, brick, built in 1881; became a home in 1926.
55. Probably Greek Revival house, built in 1850 by Silas Williams.
57. Victorian house built in 1871/72 for Phebe Crawford, books and stationery dealer.
58. 1909 house built by Aubrey Lingham; restored in 1996.
59. Only stone house in the village; built in 1849 by Charles P. Holmes. An unusual
Greek Revival style, with a monitor like those in Concord, Michigan. Sections of
60. Early house, probably 1870's or 1880's, belonged to Peters' Mill family.
61. Greek Revival house built before 1844 by Willard Hubbard.