TITLE: 1909 and 1910 memories in Milford -
1909 records from the Milford Times files at the Milford Museum.
1910 records first published in December, 1969 Milford Times
1909 – April 3rd
* Don’t forget when you are ordering your groceries to have a loaf od Buster Brown bread – Austin & Magill (Grocers who delivered!)
* Look, Look – Potts & Lockwood will store your coal and heating stoves for the summer. Phone (number) 84.
* One pretty good sign of Spring is the new boat house that has been built this week between the Main Street bridge and the railroad embankment on the north side of the river. The site could not be better for the purpose as it is so accessible and the river is wide enough to give plenty off room out of the current. The building stands on long cedar posts and roofed with galvanized iron.
* APRIL 10
*Some of the Villagers are getting tired of having chickens running at large and a petition is being generally signed for presentation to the Council asking that effective steps be taken to abate the nuisance.
Base Ball returns – Jake Bentler has made arrangements to receive the baseball scores by innings at his Pool & Billiard Parlors. Stop in and see how the game stands.
* W.B. Purdy has added a fine new marble top soda fountain to his store furnishings.
Monday was another of those very windy days and the street sprinkler was brought out to subdue the dust on Main Street.
So – and Say So –
o Automobiles are like people, the cheap ones are noisy.
o It’s the things we didn’t do that regret the most.
o It so happens that by the time one is well off in this world he is well toward the next.
Seventeen automobiles are owned in Northville, several having been purchased this season.
* A Brighton rural mail carrier has purchased a Brush runabout and used it on his route for the first time. He covered his route Tuesday in 3 ¼ hours.
The class of 1909 Milford High School is notable as being the largest class in the history of the school. There are nineteen members in the class.
A new iron fence for St. Mary’s Cemetery has arrived and will be put in place shortly.
The name of the town “Milford” has been placed on the raised portion of the grass plot at the (railroad) depot, the letters being outlined in red foliage plants in the green of the plot rolled and the grass clipped so short that it presents a neat appearance.
Columbia Double – Disc records. A different selection on each side. They fit any machine. – George C. Allen, next to post office in Milford.
The June 10, 1910 issue of the Milford Times contained some items which might be of interest.
* It tells of a very cold May, the coldest on record in the weather bureau. There had been snow many places in the state, including Milford. Winter wraps were needed as well as fires to keep warm.
*Old settlers still alive in 1910 were listed as follows: John Kinsman who came in March 1837. George Bourns and Mrs. Betsey Potts who came from England October 14, 1833. Mrs. Dorothy Prior, who came from Massachusetts in 1835 with her parents at the age of two. William Kingsley, who came with his parents in May 1833. They drove through (the country) with two oxen and two cows from Alleghany County, New York.
* The Pere Marquette railroad advertised two excursions: on Sunday, June 5, to Detroit, leaving Milford at 9:07 a.m., leaving Detroit at 7:00 p.m. round trip. Fare was50 cents round trip; on Sunday, June 12, to Toledo, leaving Milford at 9:52 a.m., leaving Toledo, round trip at 6:00 p.m. . Fare: 90 cents round trip.
* James D. Rowe, Jasper Shattuck and Spencer D. Lee went to Detroit and from there to interurban to attend the exercises in connection with the dedication of the Custer monument in Monroe. (These men served under General Custer in his cavalry brigade in the Civil War.)